You might have heard that the Government of Canada is launching the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) through the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on May 15, 2020. This program will help post-secondary students and recent graduates who will experience financial hardship this summer due to COVID-19. We want to make sure you have the facts, as you or someone you know may be eligible for this support. Simplii Financial™ is here to help you receive benefit payments, including the Canada Emergency Student Benefit, faster and securely through direct deposit.
What’s the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB)?
The CESB will provide $1,250 per month for eligible students from May through August 2020 and $2,000 for students with dependents and those with permanent disabilities who are unable to find full-time employment due to COVID-19.
To be eligible to receive the CESB, you’re one of the following:
- A student enrolled in a post-secondary education program leading to a degree, diploma or certificate
- A recent post-secondary grad who completed your studies or graduated no earlier than December 2019
- A high school grad who has applied for and will be joining post-secondary programs in the coming months
- A Canadian student studying abroad who meets one of the above criteria
In addition, you aren’t eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).
Get more details about the CESB programOpens a new window in your browser.
How do I apply and register for direct deposit?
Simplii is working with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to help clients receive benefit payments faster and securely through direct deposit. There are 2 steps to apply for the CRA direct deposit and benefits:
- If you aren’t registered for direct deposit through the CRA, you can sign up through Simplii online or mobile banking. Find out everything you need to know to set up CRA Direct Deposit with Simplii
- To apply for the CESB benefit after May 15, visit the Government of CanadaOpens a new window in your browser..
For questions regarding the federal government’s eligibility and application process for the CESB program, refer to the CRA website or contact the CRA directly. If you have questions on how to set up your direct deposit and can’t find the answer in our frequently asked questions, reach us quickly and securely by signing on to online banking to live chat with us.
The Simplii team remains committed to supporting you in this challenging time. Thank you for your continued trust in Simplii.
Head of Simplii Financial