What is personal information?
- Personal information means any information about an identifiable individual.
- It can be in any form including paper, electronic, audio, video or biometric such as voiceprints, photographs and signatures. This information can also include information collected through digital activities such as the device model, browser type and IP address.
What information do we collect?
- We may collect the following types of information: contact, identity, financial, transactional and other information that helps us to understand more about you, to be able to serve you better.
- Much of the information comes from you but we may also collect information from third parties such as credit bureaus, public records or government agencies and registries.
- We may also collect information by monitoring or recording your interactions with us — for example, telephone calls, video conferencing, online chats or other interactions with Simplii Financial websites and mobile sites, e-mail, text (SMS), fax, or other telecommunication channels. We use surveillance, including video recording, in and around our CIBC banking centres, bank machines and other locations
How do we use and share information?
- We use and share your personal information to provide you with products or services, to communicate with you, to offer you additional products or services including targeted promotions, to personalize your experience with us, including by reviewing and analyzing your information, and to manage our business including our credit and other risks.
- Specifically, we may also use and share information within CIBC, with credit bureaus and with other parties in order to protect you and us from error, to prevent and detect criminal activity, and to meet our legal and regulatory obligations.
Depending on your products or services with us, we may share information with our program partners or with your joint account holders.
How do we protect your information?
- We take appropriate steps to protect your personal information from unauthorized use, sharing, loss or theft and we audit our security measures and assess that they remain effective and appropriate.
- Our employees who have access to your information are made aware of the importance of keeping it secure and confidential.
We use contracts and other measures with our service providers to maintain the confidentiality and security of your information and to prevent it from being used for any other purpose other than that for which it was intended.
What are your privacy choices?
You have control on how your personal information is collected, used or shared. For example you may:
- Subject to legal, business or contractual requirements, withdraw your consent to our collection, use or sharing of information at any time upon giving us reasonable notice. However, withdrawing your consent may limit or prevent us from providing you with, or being able to continue to provide you with, specific products and services. For example, if you choose not to provide us with your Social Insurance Number (SIN), we will not be able to provide you with any product where the collection of SIN is required under tax law, such as a registered product like a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP).
- Request that we do not use your SIN to assist in accurately identifying you when conducting credit bureau inquiries. This by itself will not prevent you from qualifying for products and services.
- Withdraw your consent to receive certain marketing communications for products and services.
Upon request and subject to certain exceptions, we will provide you with access to any personal information we hold about you.
Contact us through any one of the options listed under the “Need to contact us?” section to exercise your privacy choices or request access to your information.